Kaffe 2014 – Preview

March 19, 2014 -

Tagged: ,

After weeks of hard work, we were thrilled to welcome members of the press to the American Museum today for a special preview of our exhibition for this year Kaffe 2014: The Colourful World of Kaffe Fassett. Our doors open to the public again on Saturday 22 March. If you can’t wait that long to see the exhibition, here are some pictures we snapped earlier today to give you an idea of what to expect.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

Unsure where our exhibition gallery is? Just look out for the large yew tree bedecked with lanterns that have been covered with Kaffe Fassett’s fabrics.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

The gallery has been divided into different coloured areas. In the centre is a recreation of Kaffe’s studio, which contains many things that bring him inspiration.

IMG_1043

Pieces of knitwear are exhibited alongside works of needlepoint and patchwork quilts.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

One of my favourite spaces is the green room. I love the stunning hollyhock tapestry, which dominates the end wall. The floor has been covered with specially printed lino using a digital image of Kaffe’s needlepoint vegetable patch.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

There are pieces in the manor house too. So make sure you don’t miss them when you visit.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

The exhibition runs until 2 November 2014. There is so much to see that you may want to make more than one trip. So don’t leave it too long to visit!

16 Comments »

1. It looks FANTASTIC! Great job!

Comment by Katy Bursack — March 19, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

2. It looks fabulous. Really looking forward to coming to see this exhibition!

Comment by Sue Walker — March 19, 2014 @ 6:28 pm

3. Hope I can go sometime! He is one of the most inspirational artists of my life!!

Comment by Carla DiGiorgio — March 20, 2014 @ 8:31 pm

4. Just noticed that the exhibition has opened, I am spreading the news in Lampeter – it looks amazing… see you soon!

Comment by Calico Kate — March 24, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

5. Seriously considering coming to the exhibit with a friends. I’m from Calgary, Alberta, Canada and she’s from Denver, Colorado, US. We’re getting together in July to discuss it!

Comment by Joanne — March 30, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

6. Fantastic, cant wait to come down to Bath to see this. I live yards from where Kaffe bought his first wool in Inverness and am midway through a Persian poopy shawl just now. Yippee!

Comment by Lesley Fraser — April 4, 2014 @ 10:35 pm

7. Love his stuff! I thought I discovered him when took out his book “Passionate Patchwork” at the local library in 2003. Still my favorite book by him and have my own copy signed by him and Brandon. Wish I could go to his show.

Comment by Karen Malone — April 9, 2014 @ 3:17 pm

8. I have been entranced, inspired, and excited about your use of color for several years. I am not an artist, but endeavor to bring life and light into what ever I sew. I find that many who have previously not liked color are amazed when I bring out some of your fat quarters and show them your books. My goal is to make several of your inspiring quilts before I leave this earth and at 73 that will be a goal I am working on. Blessings on you and yours and wonderful patronage at your wonderful show. Arizona is a little to far away.
    sincerely a fan always,
    Sherry Mihalek USA AZ.

Comment by Sherry Mihalek — April 10, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

9. Amazing! A remarkable man who is not afraid of colour as so many are!…I find his work
    Life Enhancing and truly Original. I think back to the days before Kaffe first first exploded on to the scene; designs were so repetitive and boring. He brings, “Pure and unbridled Joy” to all his designs……..So much True Originality!

I cannot wait to visit the exhibition and spread the word.

Comment by Georgina Bullock — May 3, 2014 @ 9:33 am

10. hope it was as good as the last one ten years ago and when i went to see kaffee a few years ago in falmouth and when i saw him at nec hilton same lecture so i had early night when is he going to be KNIGHTED FOR SERVICES TO COMMERCIAL SERVICES hope you will be open as you WERE CLOSED LAST NOV no signs on the road
    HAVE A COLOURFUL YEAR
    CHEERS PATCHWORKCAT

Comment by sian — May 9, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

11. Hello Patchwork Cat. We have had lots of positive comments about the exhibition. We hope you agree and are able to visit before the exhibition ends at the end of October. Sorry to hear that you came when we were closed last November. Sadly, we have no jurisdiction over signs that are not on museum property so we are unable to put up signs on the road with our opening hours. We do try to make sure that people are aware of our opening times though our printed materials and online presence. Do let us know what you think of our Kaffe exhibition after you have visited.

Comment by Kate Hebert — May 12, 2014 @ 11:11 am

12. What a wonderful exhibition! I came over from France last month for a visit and I was totally enthralled by the wealth of colour and textures. I have several of Kaffe Fasset’ wonderful books but this was the first time I was able to see his work. So lucky to have been in the UK when this was on and I was in the area!!

Comment by Wendy Symes — May 13, 2014 @ 8:13 am

13. I love Kaffe’s work. I have made a sweater and a vest from his patterns for knitting. I have several of his books. He’s my IDOL. I will not be able to cross the lake to see the exhibit but I sure wish it was coming to the Boston, MA (USA) area! Will there be a book published in conjunction with this exhibit? I sure would like to get my hands on a copy. This looks wonderful.

Comment by Cindy Prevett — May 15, 2014 @ 3:18 am

14. Hi Cindy. Sorry you won’t be able to make it over for the exhibition. I’m afraid that we won’t be publishing a book in conjunction with this exhibition. Have you had a look at our exhibition video? We are also in the process of putting together a Pinterest board with photographs of the exhibition on our Museum account. Just our way of trying to ease the pain of those of you unable to cross the seas to visit. Enjoy!

Comment by Kate Hebert — May 16, 2014 @ 8:43 am

15. Being a big fan of Kaffe, and having attended workshops with Kaffe and Brandon I was very disappointed with the exhibition, as were my friends who all attended today. We travelled for over 2 hours to visit and when we were asked by a member of staff what we thought of it we expressed our views. Another visitor in the room obviously overheard our discussion and said that she also was very disappointed. Maybe it’s the hype on this page that makes it sound so special but having seen the displays at the exhibition of quilts in Birmingham and in his books we were expecting something wonderful. There is a lot of needlepoint and tapestrys which are dated -neither old enough to be vintage or antique. The knitwear for which he is very famous didn’t really appeal to us. There was very little fabric for sale 6/7 bolts to chose from. My favourite was his designs framed with colour charts and the wonderful tree at the entrance to the exhibition decorated with lamp shades and Pom poms. There are a few quilts in the displays, which are very nice but we didn’t come away full of inspiration as we expected to.

Comment by Linda — July 24, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

16. Hello Linda. I am sorry to hear that the Kaffe Fassett exhibition was not what you expected. It is a retrospective of all of his work not just his quilts, which is why there are older pieces of his knitwear and needlework. The items on display were all chosen by Kaffe Fassett as a representation of the development of his designs and the things that inspire him. Hopefully you were directed to the Manor House where there are more examples of Kaffe’s quilts on display (as well as our own collection of historic quilts). I hope that, despite your disappointment at the lack of Kaffe quilts, you still enjoyed your visit to the American Museum.

Comment by Kate Hebert — July 29, 2014 @ 10:36 am