The American Museum & Gardens is the perfect day out for visitors of all ages. We have lots of family activities onsite to enjoy both indoors and out including:
- a dedicated children’s garden and play area
- craft activities on weekends and school holidays in our stables
- interactives, games and dressing up clothes in the Museum where you can try on historic American clothing
- child friendly special exhibitions such as dinosaurs or LEGO bricks – check our what’s on page for latest information
- an arboretum with natural springs perfect for a splash around – make sure to look out for our American redwood tree
- parklands and woodlands for further exploration with stunning views across the landscape
- kid menus in our American Garden Deli with tasty American food options sure to be a hit with little ones, we also have ice-cream, desserts, high chairs as well as a sun-soaked terrace with further seating
- enjoy a picnic in any of the spaces on our lovely grounds
- take advantage of the gorgeous views from our adult and child sized Adirondack chair
We offer a range of support to all of our visitors including noise cancelling headphones in both child and adult sizes which can be borrowed from the Ticket Office free of charge. Please see our Access Guide for more details on what to expect onsite.
Taking inspiration from nature and the landscape, we’ve created a magical space where children can engage with the natural world and American culture, with play experts the Green Play Project. The Children’s Garden is a place for families of all ages to spend time together.
All of the play equipment has been ROSPA checked and we undertake daily checks of paths, walkways and the surrounding area. Use of the equipment is at your own risk.
Even more to explore
The New American Garden and Mount Vernon Garden also await explorers of all ages. From winding paths and colourful flowers to woodland wanders with your four-legged friends, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Baby-changing facilities are situated in the Gallery Shop and the Coach House. Breastfeeding is welcomed throughout our site. Children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by an adult. In the interests of health and safety, please do not leave any children in your care unattended.
The American Garden Deli offers takeaway refreshments, including children’s lunchboxes, and you’re more than welcome to bring a picnic.