Night & Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs
In 2020 the American Museum & Gardens was delighted to announce the arrival of its most glamorous exhibition yet, Night & Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs is organised by the Fashion and Textiles Museum, London.
Presented thematically, the exhibition took visitors on a journey through sumptuous city tableaus featuring a range of glamorous eveningwear. Nightclub, cinema and bustling street scenes were filled with floor-length gowns, created in satins, velvets and crepes and adorned with diamante.
From couture to classic, there was something for every fashionista. Not only were there dresses and outfits galore, but also fabulous 1930s photography, which encapsulates the era. Visitors were taken on a journey through the decade, passing art deco architecture, visiting wild parties and basking in the Golden Age of Hollywood.
Visitors were able to download information about each scene.
1. The way you wear your hat (Dept. store)
2. Somewhere over the rainbow (Cinema Queue)
3. I’ve got a pocketful of dreams (Street Scene)
4. Happy Days are here again (Sea Pavillion)
5. Life is just a bowl of cherries (Garden Party)
6. Let’s face the music and dance (Nightclub) (A left 1-13)
6. Let’s face the music and dance (Nightclub) (B right 1-13)
Thanks to our friends at the Fashion and Textiles Museum, London the exhibition was extended until 20 December.
Top image: © Michele Morgan photographed by Ernest Bachrach, circa 1939. Private collection of Terence Pepper.