My Opera of Colour

March 12, 2014 - Kaffe Fassett

Tagged: ,

At the beginning of the week Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably joined the exhibitions team at the Museum to oversee the installation of Kaffe 2014: The Colourful World of Kaffe Fassett. After the second day spent immersed in the exhibition gallery, surrounded by bright colours, Kaffe was eager to share his enthusiasm for the show which opens on 22 March 2014.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

This is the grandest show of my career – every item is part of an intricate opera of colour. I have always wanted this approach to my work, but other museum designers and curators have steered me to a rather mixed approach in my exhibitions.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

This show is so unique to me because it explains in a visceral way my growing obsession with the power of colour. My hope and conviction is that this exhibition at the American Museum in Britain will show the grey and beige clad young the sensual thrill of pure colour. I still feel vital! I want my message to come across in this mood altering show – I’m flying high on colour.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

This show is closer to my desires than ever before in my many, many presentations around the world.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition

17 Comments »

1. So beautiful!

Comment by Jane Thomason — March 15, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

2. Can’t wait to see this exhibition. Always a great fan.

Comment by Linda Lea — March 17, 2014 @ 1:18 am

3. I am SO looking forward to visiting this show. I met the great mam himself at the quilt show in Birmingham last year. What a thrill!

Comment by Margo — March 18, 2014 @ 7:42 am

4. Wonderfull harmony of colours.

Comment by Giedre — March 20, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

5. Why is this in the American Museum, when they have lived in England? Are they not British citizens?

Comment by Jane Teague — March 22, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

6. Kaffe Fassett was born in San Francisco. He has a long history with the American Museum, first exhibiting here in 1994. He knew our founders and was inspired by the wonderful pieces in our collection when he visited in the 1960s. Indeed, he even produced drawings for the Museum’s first guide book. You can read more about the exhibition here http://americanmuseum.org/about-the-museum/current-exhibitions/kaffe-2014-the-colourful-world-of-kaffe-fassett/

Comment by Kate Hebert — March 24, 2014 @ 9:34 am

7. Cant wait to bring my daughter & grandaughter (10yrs) to see this amazing array of colour palette rooms. We need inspiration to start our own family quilt!

Comment by Carole Lowe — March 25, 2014 @ 8:37 am

8. Thank you for a Wonderful exhibition. Blissed out on colour

Comment by Jacki Wright — March 25, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

9. Oh, how I wish the pond wasn’t so big! Would love to pop over and experience this exhibition.

Comment by Bonnie Hodgkins — April 9, 2014 @ 2:56 am

10. I did not see any announcement of an accompanying book or catalog?

Comment by Katie McGrath — April 11, 2014 @ 3:51 pm

11. Sorry, no catalog for this exhibition but a selection of Kaffe Fassett’s books – as well as fabric, ceramics, and knitted items designed and made by him – are being sold in our gallery shop.

Comment by Kate Hebert — April 17, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

12. Thank you for an awe inspiring afternoon. I took my daughter, her boyfriend and my sister to the exhibition and we were all completely enthralled. Time to get out the tapestry wools again!

Comment by Rachel Zenker — April 14, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

13. A wonderful, mystical, colorful, magic tour! I love it!

Comment by Lucinda Craig — April 22, 2014 @ 7:46 pm

14. I’m so excited that I will be able to see this exhibit on my first trip to England from USA. I have loved Kaffe’s fabrics for years!

Comment by Deborah Sorem — May 16, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

15. Colour used like it should be – to make us feel alive!

Comment by Miranda — May 18, 2014 @ 7:56 am

16. How wonderful colours! What a pity that I cannot visit the exhibition, too long away from Finland. But for about 20 years ago Kaffe Fassett had an exhibition in Helsinki which I of course visited.

Comment by Brita Svartström — June 2, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

17. Really inspirational colors and design… really want to implement in my house.. Love it !!

Comment by Dharmesh Agarwal — September 17, 2014 @ 5:31 am